Thursday, January 15, 2009

'Borrow'

On page 76, Huck states that, “Mornings, before daylight, I slipped into corn fields and borrowed a watermelon, or a mushmelon, or a pumpkin, or some new corn, or things of that kind. Pap always said it warn’t no harm to borrow things, if you was meaning to pay them back sometime…” I find it humorous that Huck substitutes the word ‘steal’ with ‘borrow.’ It’s as if he is trying to make himself feel better about doing something immoral. Huck obviously has no intentions of returning any of these items, so he isn’t actually going along with Pap’s rules, either. Pap? Having morals about stealing? Ha, How ironic. That’s an idea of its own.





  1. By the way: this is a mushmellon (it's just another name for a cantaloupe)

3 comments:

  1. it is kinda humorous how he substitutes 'steal' with 'borrow' and it makes you wonder if he really doesn't know he is doin somethin wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is rather witty how he does that. It is actually one of the only things in this so-called comedy book that made me chuckle. I honestly don't see how people find this book funny. I know times have changed and comedy has changed, but still, I only find the things mildly entertaining. Personally I find the book largely overrated. But I digress....

    ReplyDelete