Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Its All in the Style

I really like the story of Jim and Huck, but the style of writing used is really disracting to the overall greatness of the book. I love how Mark Twain has taken things from his experience of the river and used them in this book, however, some paragraphs just seem to run together and i forget that im reading a book. Also, i find it hard to interpret everything that Jim is saying and I often have to re-read some of the things he says.

I can't help but think that if Mr. Twain would have written some things a little different the book would be more enjoyable.

5 comments:

  1. To an extent, I agree. In one of my earlier posts I addressed this, and I questioned if the novel was a book, or just a mass compilation of short stories. Maybe you forget that you're reading a book because sometimes the stories seem, 'detached' from one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the book is fine but its to easy to fall asleep during it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with NOTemilymuchoberac. Each Chapter seems like a different story almost..?

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you know, some of the best novels of all time have fallen to this critique. To Kill a Mockingbird, voted one of the best novels of the century, had many people question its continuity. And I mean, it is called his adventures, and no adventure is the same...I dont know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually really like the way Twain writes this book. I think the style of writing gives the book its character! I also agree that it is quite interesting that Mark Twain uses his personal experience on the river in the book.

    ReplyDelete