Thursday, January 15, 2009

Huck and his Father

I think its interesting that Huck knows his dad is a low down drunk but still lives by his teachings. For example, Huck's father said that its okay to 'borrow' things if you are going to pay them back. Also, when Huck says that his father told him to grab a chicken whenever he could, even if he didn't need it; someone will always need it and good deeds aren't forgotten.

Does this mean that Huck may actually look up to his dad still, or is he just finding excuses to do bad things?

2 comments:

  1. i thank that huck may become just like his dad in a way more uncivilized because his dad is a careless person and dosnt worry about anything beacause huck is an uncivilized and dosnt ever thank of his consiqences

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is an excellent observation. I have to note that it seems that though Huck knows his dad is worthless, he never assumes a right to judge the man for his misconduct. I think this serves as an example of the old adage, 'blood is thicker than water.' Often, because the lines of family are so strong, we are willing to put up with a lot from our family members... or even if we don't put up with it, we can see life from their perspective and even sometimes excuse their behavior.
    I don't know. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete