Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Past Vs. Present


Today more than almost any other day I realize how far America has come. Today, Barack Obama was put into the presidential office of the United States. Even he made it a point to remind everyone of how far we have come as a nation.
Just sixty years ago, African Americans wouldn't have even been able to vote in this election let alone run in it. And as of today, we have an African American president! That is amazing.
Back when this book was made, black people had no freedoms. They were just seen as property. Mark Twain, I'm guessing, would have been very proud of what our nation has become today. Most (not all) people can now look past the color of the skin, and look at the content of peoples' character, just as Dr.MLK Jr. wanted.

Maybe the U.S. is better off than we thought...

Or at least heading in the right direction.

7 comments:

  1. GO OBAMA YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this begins 8 new years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I totally have to agree. We have changed so much for the better! Everyone is treated equal now and it's probably the best thing that has happen, EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am glad that Obama became president, I wanted him to win all along. But before you say how far our country has gone, wait to make sure he doesn't get killed. There's a lot of racist out there, and like a wise man once told me... America is the killing name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree cody, america hasn't really evolced all that much, we still have racist poeple in our society. what you see in politics is more the pepole that think we should live in harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes i agree with you Cody there is alot of racist in the world but thats never going to go away. But i am glad that i was alive to see such a historic event in america's history. But before we cleabrate we sould wait and find out what he is going to do for this country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes racisim is still around, but if you think about it, it is a lot better. And its not impossible to think that one day it will no longer be around because we have already made it this far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message.

    ReplyDelete