Tuesday, January 20, 2009
A chip of the old block
Besides the fact that Pap drinks, are him and Huck really so different? Of course you will have to understand Huck's childhood innocence, but they have a lot more in common than we realize. We always see Pap as an evil raging alcoholic, but we forget Huck never would have half of the skills he uses in order to escape unless his father taught him. Just looking at thinks from a different perspective.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The reason they have so much in common is because Huck grew up around his father, he was raised by him. And Huck would never have had to escape from his father if his father was not the man he was. I really don't think that the two are like at all, only in the way they live.
ReplyDeleteUmmmm yeah thats not 100% true.Most of the way Huck turned out was by just hanging out with Tom sweyer.I'm sure Huck got some of his skills from his father but then again you don't see him going off and drinking showing no sense of honesty.I mean just look at that whole mess on the sinking ferry boat.He couldve left those men to die.Instead he got them help.And what about Jim?He couldve turned him in forst thing like his dad would but he didnt.Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree on this one.
ReplyDeleteIt seems sort of like a "monkey see monkey do" kind of thing. Huck knows all that he knows from learning by example from his father. How different the character Huck would be if he had been raised with the widow Douglas the whole time. We wouldn't even have the same character. I dont really think that Huck and his father are that differen though its beginning to show that Huck is slowly becoming more mature than his father in his choices.
ReplyDeleteI think that if Huck didn't have his father he wouldn't be half the man he is today. I think there is a little good in everyone,you just have to find it.
ReplyDeleteWell obviously if he was raised by the widow longer he would be different, but he wasn't. He didnt learn most of his skills from Tom Sawyer, everything he knows was pretty common for kids to learn back then and they were taught by who? The father.
ReplyDeleteYes there is a little good in everyone, but where is the good in is father? So far I have not seen it in the book. Im sure that the man Huck is today is not because of his father, if anything his father showed Huck the man that he does not want to be.
ReplyDeleteWell I'm thinking that if I had to fend for my life from a raging alcoholic father, I would be pretty witty and sly about life and escaping myself.
ReplyDelete