Thursday, January 15, 2009

Good Ole' Pap

Hmmmm...what to say about Pap? Honestly I'm not sure he could be called a 'father' but I suppose I cant change that. Pap plays a very significant role in the story of Huckleberry Finn, Although he isn't always around he has done a great job of forcing twelve-year-old Huck grow up fast! Pap's drunken rampages and whailings on Huck give the little guy a great deal of independence and 'street smarts' so to say and help to develope who he is as a boy even though he certainly doesn't mean to. I think Pap is an accidental success as a parent as some parents are even today and it helps connect life today,to life back then which really helps to relate to the story, in my opinion, even if you have no idea what having a drunk parent or relative is like.

3 comments:

  1. ok ya i understanf growing up fast trust me but still if i ever saw a kid getting beat by his dad or anybody for that matter i would step in and help the little guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. not everyone back then would have even taken a second glance at a kid bein beat by his dad that just goes to show you how things were back then

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you because Huck has turned out to be a great kid and a little survival man all because of what pap took him through if it wasn't for pap making him man up and teaching himi street skill Huck might be dead.

    ReplyDelete