Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Too descriptive
I believe this book is way too descriptive, but yet vague. Mark Twain details the environments and is really descriptive of the surroundings. But when it comes to things happpening within the book, he is vague. He never really explains what is happening. He just says one thing after another. Its almost like he is rambling. Thats at least what I think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree its like he describes what the setting is over and over from the bark of the tree to how muddy the dirt is but hes never clear on whats going on in the plot its rather confusing.
ReplyDeletei would have to agree with you because on one behalf he describes what the characters are doing but yet at the same time he just doesnt detail out what they are doing at that time in question.
ReplyDeleteI have to say i disagree. I think Mark Twian does a good job of not putting to much detail into the book but enough for us to know whats going on. if he told he were to be really clear as to whats going on it would once again be to much detail.
ReplyDeletei agree Mark Twain does not explain what is happeniong his the book, he just gives strong supporting details of whats going on in the book.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI also agree. Mark Twain is very good at being descriptive, but as the plot thickens he does seem to ramble more and more. But also I disagree because I would much rather read a book that is very vivid than a book that's dull and boring. I think his writing style kind of helps the reader get a better mental image and have a better understanding.
ReplyDeleteIt's almost like he just throws in multiple things one after the other, not really correlating the events. When doing the questions yesterday, it seemed like you have to decode the whole chapter to find one sentence to find out whats going on. Oh well, maybe it'll get better.
ReplyDeleteI would also agree. Mark Twain likes to be descriptive in the scenery and he likes to work with the dialogue, but as for what's actually happening to everyone, he tends to beat around the bush and try to make us figure it out ourselves.
ReplyDeleteIt is difficult to agree or disagree with what you've said here because there is a certain vagueness with your post. You suggest that Twain is very detailed about the environment, but then assert that he is vague about other things. Well what are the "other things" that he is unclear about? Can you give examples to support your case.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSir, I do believe this ‘vagueness’ is vital when establishing the writer's voice. Twain writes this book as if it is narrated by an adolescent boy. Therefore, the books detailed scenes, contradicted by vague plots, are true to this idea.
ReplyDeletewell in my opinion i belive that the vagueness is on of the things that make it so good. if he just wrote every detail than it would have been like reading out of a history textbook.its unique that way
ReplyDeletei wish it would be more dicriptive because how intersting it is now, it would an explosion of emotion and discrtivement hee hee explosion. plus you never want to put super intersting book down.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteWell, this novel isn't the worst. Try "A River Runs Through It". This novel, in writing and in thought, is a first. He wrote in perspective of one of the youngest, least bigoted souls in the country, and he did it with the idea of showing transformation. I can only hope that the book continues to prove itself.
ReplyDeleteMiss Margo I do believe you have changed my perspective. I understand Mark Twains unique way of writing and how it is used in this book.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHaHa i never really saw it like that.I usually just think it was his way of expressing his way of writing and feeling on the subject.I think we just need to take the extra time and LISTEN to the author and not just READ the book.
ReplyDeletei agree with "anime ninja freak" they make a good point. sometimes vagueness is really good. because it makes sure we are paying attention to what we are reading.
ReplyDelete